Agüimes is a southeastern town in Gran Canaria, twenty minutes away from the airport by car. Located in the high area its anual medium temperature is around 20 ºC (68 ºF).
In its territory we can find protected natural parks as the Barranco de Guayadeque ( Guayadeque ravine) which is also a very important aboriginal settlement (its aboriginal name: Ariganez or Argonez) where numerous vestiges of its rich past have been found. Its a very recommended area for its visual quality and a nice option to have walking routes.
In its coasts we find: “playa del cabrón”, another natural park, this time a beach, with one of the best seabeds to dive in as well as its ancient salines.
Agüimes population was found in 1491, it was named episcopal camera and becamed a church's fief until almost the 19th century. This characteristic is seen in its architecture where its streets invite us to make a beautiful and relaxing tour through them.
Agüimes is a town with a lot of activities throughout the year,the town has very popular religious celebrations as well as other activities such as the" theater festival of three continents".
Here you can find some useful information about popular celebrations and aproximate dates.
- Varada del pescado (The Beached Fish) August
- La fiesta del gofio ( The Gofio Party) September
- La fiesta del Pino ( The Pino Party) September
- La fiesta del Rosario (The Rosario Festival) October
- Festival de teatro tres continentes Villa de Agüimes (Three Continents Theater Festival Villa de Agüimes) October
- Auto de los Reyes Magos (The Three Kings Parade) January
- Festival de narración oral cuenta con Agüimes (Oral Narration Festival Count with Agüimes) February
- San Sebastián ( Sebastian Saint) February
- Carnaval (Carnival) February
- Procesiones de Semana Santa, escenificaciones religiosas populares (Easter Week Prossesion, Popular Religious Escenifications) April
- Muestra de arte en la calle (Street Art Show) 2nd Sunday of each month